Friday, February 25, 2011

Just another week in Xela

This week was a little bizarre as we actually stayed in Xela for the whole time. Last weekend we celebrated a group member's birthday in high fashion (with a Woody pinata!), started more class this week (as if we didn't take enough as it was) and just kind of relaxed otherwise!





On Monday, some of us started our second class at the university. This is a Mayan Societies class which I'm not sure what entails yet, but hopefully I figure it out soon! This brings our class time total up to 9 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays.. and Mondays is just 7, so a little break? Wednesdays I still go to volunteering, but I only have 17 hours or so left, so in a few Wednesdays I should have those completely free to take class or to explore around Xela. The second picture is at the shelter playing some games with kids and volunteers.. I also went on an excursion with the mothers and children this week, which was very interesting and fun!

I have finished my time with another teacher. I really enjoyed my teacher because she challenged me with a few different forms of the subjunctive, which is one of the most difficult forms to pick up in Spanish, but I am working my way to making sense of it!

One whole paragraph needs to be devoted to food. I ate.... COW TONGUE AND STOMACH the other day. I also learned I am never going to ask my host mom what a certain food is again.. and the ones that she always tells me, I cross my fingers that they aren't direct translations. On the surprising side, the tongue was actually good, but the stomach.. after I found out what it actually was I don't think I'll be able to eat that again. My favorite meal is carne asada (I think it's some meat from a cow) with fresh guacamole, beans, tortillas and mangos for dessert. Really.. food doesn't get much better than that when I see the food sooo fresh!

This afternoon, I am going on an adventure with my host mom, so I am excited to explore Xela with her more!

I hope that everyone is still enjoying the MinneSNOWta winter.. I am currently sunburnt :)

Abrazos-Sarita

No comments:

Post a Comment